Subject: [he-forum 1060] Radio Japan 06/19

From: Hiroaki Ozawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:55:03 +0900 (JST)

以下のNHK, Radio Japan放送の日本語版は、he-forum 1026 をご覧下さい。

-------------------
Monday 19 June 2000
News Commentary: Changes for Japan's National Universities

     We now bring you News Commentary. Today's talk is about changes to
Japan's national universities. It was written by Radio Japan commentator,
Nobuo Hayakawa.
     Consideration is underway to transform Japan's national university
into independent administrative corporations. It will be the first time that
national universities will be subjected to a change of status since the
first national university -Tokyo Imperial University- was established in
1886.
     Debate on altering the status of national universities begun a few
years ago when Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto was in office. The proposal
was one in a series of proposals to reorganize the central government. The
idea is to turn a number of government bodies in the non-clerical or the
service sectors to independent corporations and run them like a business
enterprise. The aim is to make a leader and more efficient government.
     What will happen if national universities are turned into independent
corporations?
     The change will not involve privatization. The universities will be
obliged to be obliged to set five-year goals for education and research.
Five years later, an independent, outside body will then evaluate whether
these goals have been met.
     This body will be different from the organizations that will evaluate
other independent public agencies. The body will be made up of experts
familiar with education and research. Its evaluation will determine the
amount of funding that each national university will receive.
     While nothing is definite yet, it is possible that under-performing
institutions will be asked to close their doors.
     And what do the universities think of the proposed reforms?
     The influential national universities are increasingly resigning
themselves to the changes. Their only condition is that the government
guarantee funding and teachers' jobs. Such universities demand they should
be free to allocate funds and human resources. They welcome the proposed
changes in that the Education Ministry will no longer have full control over
the way that funds are spent.
     Universities will have a degree of freedom in the way they use their
money ? spending will not be restricted to single financial years; the
universities will be able to carry over balances into successive financial
years.
     There is some deep-rooted opposition to the proposed reforms. Some of
the regional national universities are concerned that the prestigious
national universities in the big cities will receive the lion's share of
funding. They worry about the evaluation that will be provided by the
outside, independent body.
     Some people argue that the emphasis on efficiency is wrong. Some kinds
of research cannot produce results in only five years. The evaluation could
reduce the amount of basic research being pursued at universities.
     Some people are using the outside pressure to alter the status of
national universities to pursue other reforms. Opinion is split a number of
ways.
     Universities are beginning to implement reforms along with moves to
change them into independent corporations.
     In Yamanashi Prefecture, negotiations officially begun last month to
merge two nationally-run institutions: the Yamanashi Medical University and
Yamanashi University. The aim is to combine the two institutions in two
years' time. The merger, if it comes about, will be first since the current
university system was established in 1949.
     There are thirteen nationally-run medical colleges around the nation,
and consideration is underway to merge some regional medical colleges with
their local nationally-run universities, for example, in the case of Kagawa,
Oita, and Miyazaki prefectures.
     Until now, the number of nationally-run universities has been on the
increase. In the future, we might see a decrease because of mergers.
     The Education Ministry is looking at turning national universities into
independent corporations in the face of fierce objections from some people.
The national universities are almost certain to become independent
corporations. The Ministry will set up a panel by the end of this month to
examine issues involved with the change of status.
     The Ministry and people in academia should take this opportunity not
only to examine the change of status, but to discuss how universities should
be and ways of improving the level of education and research at Japanese
universities.
     News Commentary. Today's talk was written by Radio Japan commentator,
Nobuo Hayakawa.
     This is Radio Japan.