Subject: [reform:04961] 在日アメリカ人学者による大学批判の本

From: Kouichi TOYOSHIMA <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:48:50 +0900

佐賀大学の豊島です．
在日アメリカ人の学者Brian McVeighという人の， "Japan's Higher 
Education as Myth"という本を紹介します． 昨年出版されたもので，私もま
だ一部分しか読んでいませんが，日本の大学について大変厳しい分析をして
います．でもその内容は，行法化反対運動にコミットして来た人々の考え方
と非常に共通しているように思われます．少しですが行法化にも触れていま
す．「制度化された虚偽」（institutional mendacity）という言葉など， ウ
オルフレンの高等教育版といった感じがします．

　Brian McVeigh, "Japan's Higher Education as Myth"
　Armonk, New York: M.E. Sharpe, 2002. ISBN 0-7656-0925-8

更新が古いようですが，著者Brian McVeigh氏のホームページは次にありま
す．　http://www2.gol.com/users/bmcveigh/

この本の最終章の一部を紹介します．243ページでは，高等教育機関が学生
に政治的教養を与えることの重要性と，その日本での欠如とが論じられて
います．251ページでは，「改革」の虚妄性と，関係者の態度が痛烈に批判
されています．この二ヶ所を，私の訳，原文の順に添付します．

（243ページ）
高等教育は国民の政治生活にとって二つの役割を持っている．まず，高等教
育は「既存の政治秩序の根本的な批判者」として振る舞う．日本の政治にお
いて何が特徴的かと言えば，大量の，またひっきりなしのスキャンダルにも
かかわらず，同じ政治家が再び登場することである．(中略)　たくさんのス
キャンダルの後に「なぜ日本では国民的反乱が起きなかったのか」？　しっ
かりした高等教育の欠如が大衆を適切に政治化しなかったのだと思われる．
ある学生は次のように言っている．「文部省は政治を理解できないような学
生を作っている．そして，学生は，自分の政治問題についての意見をどう表
現するかを教えられない．」

Higher education has two roles in the political life of a nation. First, it 
acts as "the radical critic of the established political order" (Trow 1986:185). 
What is remarkable about politics in Japan is that despite massive and inces-
sant scandals, the same political players reappear on the scene. For compara-
tive purposes, consider Italy, where not too long ago national elections after 
widespread scandals saw the electorate "throw the scandals out " "Why was 
there no popular revolt in Japan" after one of the many scandals? (See Kerbo 
and McKinstry 1995:99-100.) We might suggest that lack of a solid higher 
educational training has not adequately politicized the populace. In the words 
of one student, "the Ministry of Education makes students who can't under-
stand politics. And, students are not taught how to express their own ideas on 
political issues." According to another student, Japanese schools are "not 
democratic and this is very dangerous."

（251ページ）
公表された文書では高等教育改革の問題についての声高な議論が見られる．
これらの文献の議論の多くにおいては，いかなる変化も，トップつまり文部
省に認められなければならないという暗黙の前提がなされている．言外に意
味するものは，教育とは国家行政の延長であり，市民社会と一般大衆に根ざ
した活動と制度の総体というものとはみなされていないということであろう．
(中略)
日本において大学の改善を誠実に望むたくさんの個人がいる．しかし，鈍感
さあるいはシニシズムから，問題への対処をどのように始めてよいかがわか
らない人々もいるという印象を受ける．ある人々は，「行政指導型教育シス
テム」とでもいうべき制度化されたイデオロギーに依拠して仕事をするのに
慣れ親しんでいて，十分な「行政指導」があれば解決法は手に入り，あるい
は問題はコントロールできると思っているようだ．他の人々は，いわば「模
擬改革」に従事していて，必要な改革についての議論は気まぐれな政策論に
なってしまう．議論ばかりで行動がない．

  There is a loud discourse in published works focusing on the problems asso-
ciated with reforming higher education8. Tacit in the discourse of many of 
these works is an understanding that any change should be authorized from 
the top, that is, the Monbusho. The implication seems to be that education is 
an extension of the state, not an array of activities and institutions rooted in 
civil society and the general populace. This perspective is part of a powerful 
value system that informs thinking about the relation between the individual 
and group, and this value system, being so fundamental, strengthens the dic-
tates of economic national statism. Thus, it is hard to be optimistic about 
reform in Japan's higher education when one considers who initiates funda-
mental reform (i.e., central authorities and corporate culture). 
   There are many individuals in Japan who sincerely want to see improve-
ment in daigaku. But one gets the impression that there are others who, 
whether due to obtuseness or cynicism, do not know how to start to address 
the problems. Some are so used to working with the ideo-institutional para-
digm of a "command education system" that they seem to believe that, with 
enough "administrative guidance," solutions can be ordered up or problems 
simply commanded away. Others engage in what may be called "simulated 
reform," so that discussions about much-needed changes become a type of 
policy of fantasy. Talk takes the place of action. 

最後に，訳はありませんがもう一ヶ所，253ページから

Because the Monbusho intrudes into detailed ad-
ministrative matters that many believe it should stay clear of, daigaku per-
sonnel spend much time worrying about how to please central state officials 
and consequently adopt the rule-driven practices and education-stifling poli-
cies of the Monbusho. Regardles of attempts by the state to reform daigaku, 
the environment of Japan's higher educational system is buteaucratically 
stifled by the Monbusho, thereby ensuring a state-sanctioned discourage-
ment of innovative, interesting, and spontaneous teaching and learning. 

239ページの次の一文は金言です．
We should be alert to how countless little lies can add up to become 
very large lies.

＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿

豊島耕一
http://pegasus.phys.saga-u.ac.jp
http://www.geocities.jp/chikushijiro2002/Default.html
佐賀大学理工学部物理科学科
840-8507　佐賀市本庄町1