Subject: [reform:03855] アメリカの大学で新たな「レッド・パージ」！？

From: シゲマツトモヒロ <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 05:08:16 +0900

次のメールが転送されてきましたので紹介します。転載歓迎

-------------------------------------

アメリカの研究者からの呼びかけを転送します．

-------------------------------------
アメリカで、ブッシュ政権の外交政策を批判する声をあげている研究者たちに、大学
当局などから圧力かかったりし始めたそうです。これに反対し「アカデミズムの自
由、市民の自由を守ろう」という大学教員らの声明が回ってきました。簡単な訳と、
原文を回します。どうぞ広めていただけます様にお願い致します。

秋林こずえ
コロンビア大学教育学大学院

*************************************
以下の声明に賛同される方は名前、所属、[email-masked]
へ送ってください。大学関係者も、そうでない方も歓迎です。

声明をNYタイムス紙の全面広告または他のメディアに出そうと計画していますが、
ご存知の通り、かなりの費用がかかります。カンパは小切手で以下(Academic
Freedom Adと書いておいて下さい。)へお願いします。
Center for Economic Research and Social Change
P.O. Box 258082
Chicago, IL 60625

*************************************
声明

9月11日のテロ事件に関して、アメリカ国内の学者、大学教員などアカデミズム関係
者の多くが、このテロ事件の原因、意味を問う様々なイベンに参加しています。
アメリカがアフガニスタンで戦争をしている今、アカデミズム関係者はこのような
行動を続けています。

しかし、これらのイベントの参加者の中には自らの意見を表明したがために、脅迫・
攻撃を受ける人たちが出てきました。ニューヨーク市立大学の理事会は、10月はじめ
の集会でアメリカの外交政策を批判した教員への正式な弾劾を行おうとしていま
す。テキサス大学オースティン校、マサチューセッツ工科大学、ノースキャロライ
ナ大学チャペルヒル校、マサチューセッツ大学アマースト校などでも、同じ様な事
が起こっています。AAUP （AmericanAssociation of University
Professors大学教授協会）の理事、ルース・フラワーはボストングローブ紙で、これ
らの動きに懸念を示しています（10月6日）。

ブッシュ政権の戦争政策に疑問を呈したり、反対を表明したりした大学教員に対す
る攻撃が始まるのと同時に、連邦政府から各大学に学生に関する情報の提供をする
ように圧力がかかり始めました。議会のなかでも海外からの学生ビザの発行を制限
する動きが出てきています。

アカデミズムの自由、市民の自由を擁護するために、研究・教育に携わる人々が声
をあげるよう訴えます。これは抽象的な理念だけではなく、実践です。このような
ときにこそ、良識ある声、とくに批判的な声をあげる自由を保障するべきではない
でしょうか。

呼びかけ人

Anatole Anton
Professor of Philosophy, San Francisco State University

Dana Cloud
Associate Professor of Communication, University of Texas at Austin

Donna Flayhan
Assistant Professor of Communication & Media Studies, Goucher
College

Phil Gasper
Associate Professor of Philosophy, Notre Dame de Namur University

Richard Gibson
Associate Professor of Social Studies, San Diego State University

William Keach
Professor of English, Brown University

Tom Lewis
Professor of Spanish, University of Iowa

Edward Said
University Professor, Columbia　University

---------- Forwarded message --------
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 16:12:44 -0800
From: Academic Freedom <[email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Academic Freedom Statement

The following statement in defense of academic freedom is being
circulated by concerned faculty members. If you would like to endorse
the statement, please send your name, academic position and
affiliation, and contact information to
[email-masked].
Non-academic endorsers are also welcome.

We hope to publish the statement as a full page ad in the New York
Times and possibly other media outlets with the names of hundreds or
thousands of endorsers. The cost will be many thousands of dollars. If
you would like to make a contribution towards the cost of publishing
the statement, please send a check to:

Center for Economic Research and Social Change
P.O. Box 258082
Chicago, IL 60625

Mark your check "Academic Freedom Ad".

Please contact the email address above if you have any questions or
comments.
-------------------------------------
To fellow teachers and staff members:

In the crisis precipitated by the terrible events of September 11,
members of academic communities across the U.S. have participated in
teach-ins, colloquia, demonstrations, and other events aimed at
developing an informed critical understanding of what happened and
why. Now that the U.S. is waging war in Afghanistan, such acitivites
are continuing.

Unfortunately, some participants in these events have been threatened
and attacked for speaking out. Trustees of the City University of New
York are planning formal denunciations of faculty members who
criticized U.S. foreign policy at a teach-in during the first week in
October. There have been similar efforts to silence criticism and
dissent at the University of Texas at Austin, MIT, the University of
North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Massachusetts at
Amherst, and elsewhere. AAUP director of public policy Ruth Flower
told the Boston Globe on October 6, "We're watching these developments
with a lot of concern."

Attacks on faculty who have questioned or dissented from the Bush
administration's current war policy have coincided with other ominous
developments. Colleges and universities are being pressured by
agencies of the federal government to hand over confidential
information from studentfiles. And there are moves in Congress to
limit visas for students from abroad.

We call on all members of the the academic community to speak out
strongly in defense of academic freedom and civil liberties, not just as
an abstract principle but as a practical necessity. At a moment such as
this we must make sure that all informed voices-especially those that
are critical and dissenting-are heard.

以下呼びかけ人は上同

*************************************
Patrick G. Coy, Ph.D.
Center for Applied Conflict Management (CACM)
Kent State University
Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242 CACM web site: http://www.kent.edu/cacm
Email:[email-masked]
Phone: (330) 672-2875 "Research in Social Movements,