Subject: [mathfp 1728] Dr. Sami Al-Arian found not guilty, Demand his immediate release!

From: asada akira <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:01:19 +0900

浅田です。
先ほどのメールでお知らせした　Sami Al-Arian教授が無罪だ　というメールを
（英文ですが）転送します。

この他にカリフォルニアで13日に処刑されようとしている
Tookie Williams の処刑をしないようにという請願署名
http://www.iacenter.org/tookiewilliamscampaign.shtml
も　あり　最近のアメリカでの人権侵害はかなりひどいようです。

DR. SAMI AL-ARIAN FOUND NOT GUILTY
Demand his immediate release!
Stop Bush's war against civil rights and civil liberties!

The government failed in its attempt to gain a conviction in any of the 
51 charges against Dr. Sami Al-Arian. We join with people around the 
country in demanding that he be released immediately.

In a significant blow to the Bush/Ashcroft/Gonzalez assault on civil 
rights and civil liberties, especially against Arab and Muslim people 
and political activists in the U.S., on Tuesday, December 6 a jury 
acquitted Dr. Sami Al-Arian of the key charges leveled against him by 
the Justice Department. The jury deadlocked on other charges. Dr. 
Al-Arian has been an outspoken supporter of the Palestinian people's 
right to live free from occupation and is a political target of the U.S. 
government and the right wing.

In 2003, the Bush Administration touted the arrest of Sami Al-Arian as a 
significant use of their new Patriot Act powers, calling him a supporter 
and facilitator of terrorism. The prosecution of Dr. Al-Arian was also 
hailed as an important use of "foreign intelligence" in U.S. courts. The 
FBI reportedly traveled to Israel to accept information from authorities 
there which was used to prosecute this Palestinian activist. The 
government had harassed Dr. Al-Arian for nearly eight years prior to his 
arrest, which was finally undertaken after a crescendo of attacks from 
anti-Palestinian, anti-Arab voices and right-wing media outlets. After 
September 11, 2001, he was vilified and smeared by Bill O'Reilly on FOX 
news and immediately thereafter removed from his tenured position at the 
University of South Florida.

Despite having roots in the community and a family, Professor Al-Arian 
was denied bail. He has endured two years of solitary confinement in a 
maximum security penitentiary. Dr. Al-Arian was placed in 23 hour lock 
down in a windowless cell where the light was never turned off and was 
denied a clock or watch. He has been denied basic privileges, been 
chained and shackled, subject to strip searches and given limited 
visitation.

Dr. Al-Arian was a speaker at the first national demonstration against a 
war in Iraq on October 26, 2002, that was initiated and organized by the 
A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition. After his arrest, his daughter Laila Al-Arian 
spoke at the April 12, 2003, anti-war and anti-occupation demonstration 
organized by the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition.