Subject: [reform:04288] ユネスコへのアピール

From: [email-masked] (TOYOSHIMA Kouichi)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:04:10 +0900

佐賀大学/全国ネットの豊島です．

全国ネットワークでは昨日，山住正己代表の名前でユネスコ事務局長宛に手紙を送りまし
た．国立大学の独法化は98年の高等教育世界宣言などに反していることを説明し，これ
を実施しないよう日本政府に警告してほしい，という内容です．以下に原文（英語），日
本語訳の順に添付いたします．

なお，ユネスコは「高等教育世界宣言フォローアップ戦略」という文書で，その末尾に
次のように述べています．
　　http://www.unesco.org/education/wche/index.shtml

　多くのことが高等教育の改革プロセスに関わるすべての当事者--個人と機関--の 提
　携による活力にかかっている．ユネスコは世界会議で到達したプロセスを実行する
　責任を負った．ユネスコは，高等教育に責任を負う当局，政府間の機関，そして高
　等教育に関心を持つ非政府組織と共同して，効果的なフォロー・アップを実施する
　ための最大限の努力をしている．

このようにユネスコは「宣言」等の実施状況に強い関心を持っており，諸団体との提携
を表明しています．独法化を憂慮する皆さん，また諸団体の責任者の方々に，ユネスコ
への働きかけをお願いします．

-----------------------

Head: Professor M. Yamazumi (Prof. Emeritus of Tokyo Metropolitan Univ.) 
People's Network Against the Plan to Destroy Japan's National Universities
Japanese Campaigning Group against the plan of putting the state-run 
universities under independent agenciesユ administration, consisting of 21 
organizations and 253 individuals including foreign scientists
Secretary General: Professor K. Toyoshima,
Saga University, 1, Honjo-machi, Saga 840-8502, Japan; e-mail: [email-masked]
Website
http://pegasus.phys.saga-u.ac.jp/znete.html
http://www03.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ta2/toyosima/daigaku/znete.html

October  15, 2002

Mr. Koichiro Matsuura
Secretary General of UNESCO

Appeal: Foundations of Japanese higher education is endangered

On March 26*, 2002, an advisory council of the Ministry of Education, Culture, 
Sports, Science and Technology submitted to Minister A. Toyama the final 
report on a study concerning a plan to put all state-run universities under the 
administration of independent agencies. In the governmental report, this was 
called ヤIndependent Administration Institutionユ, a new type of public 
corporation that is designed to reduce governmental expenditure. The Ministry 
will draft a bill on the basis of this report by the end of this year. However, the 
final reportユs proposal for agency administration has strongly been criticized 
and opposed by universities and mass media since September last year when the 
advisory council put forward the essential part of the bill in the interim report.
       The final report is quite problematic for the following reasons. 1) The 
Education Minister will set the goals of education and research to be achieved 
by each university and give them governmental subsidies in proportion to their 
achievement. Each university has to carry out their predetermined tasks to meet 
the goals. The Minister also has a power to close universities if its performance 
does not meet the criteria set by the government. The evaluation board is not 
independent of the government, since it is to be established in the Ministry of 
Education. 2) State-run university teachers and administrative staff will be 
treated as private service employees. This means that they will not be protected 
by The Special Rules  of Public Educational Personnel and Staff Act, which 
protects academic freedom by ensuring the basic rights of teachers of public 
universities, especially by protecting them from arbitrary dismissal. This Act is 
applied to public schools, but is virtually affecting labor relations in private 
universities as well. Without this act, their employment status and position will 
become insecure and will undermine the academic freedom in Japanユs entire 
higher education system. 3) Members of the board of directors responsible for 
decision-making at each university should include people from outside the 
university. This would take away the autonomy of each university. Universities 
will be forced to include corporate or governmental people in university 
management. Ultimately, education will serve the immediate needs of business 
and government under this system.
       Universities reorganized under the administration of an independent agency 
will no longer be academic centers with a liberal atmosphere. Basic fields of 
study that do not meet the direct needs of business and government will 
drastically decline, poor aspects of education will not improve, and tuition fees 
will necessarily increase. The Koizumi Cabinet wants to carry out a so-called 
メstructural reform of universitiesモ to change universities into ones that increase 
the competitiveness of major corporations. This also includes the very 
bureaucratic system mentioned above. The final report enforces this reform 
plan, and will allow the government to minimize its responsibility but to 
maximize its control of higher education. This will hamper the free 
development of universities, which are the intellectual foundations of Japan and 
the world as well. Consequently, universities will be completely controlled by 
the state power as Japan experienced in the dictatorial regime before World War 
II.
       The final report is contrary to UNESCOユs documentation; especially, in 
Recommendation concerning the status of higher-education teaching personnel 
(1997) (IV. Education objective and policies, Article 10(a).  V. Institutional 
rights, duties and responsibilities, Articles 17 through 19.  VI. Rights and 
freedom of higher-education teaching personnel, Articles 27, 28, 29 and 32.  IX. 
Term and conditions of employment, Article 45), in World declaration on 
higher education for the twenty-first century: vision and action (1998) (Article 
1: Mission to educate, to train and to undertake research.  Article 2: Ethical role, 
autonomy, responsibility and anticipatory function.  Article 10: Higher 
education personnel and students as major actors, item (c).  Article 14: 
Financing of higher education as a public service, item (a)),  and in Framework 
for priority action for change and development of higher education (1998) (I: 
Priority actions at national level, Article 1 items (a), (j) and (k).  II: Priority 
actions at the level of systems and institutions, Articles 5 and 6(g)).
       In the context of the UNESCOユs recommendation and declaration, to which 
the Japanese government agreed, we ask you to warn the Japanese government 
against putting state-run universities under the administration of an independent 
agency. This is because the final report is contrary to agreements in UNESCO 
stating that such a system has a negative influence upon the progress of higher 
education in Japan and throughout the world. 

SIGNATURE

Professor M. Yamazumi (Prof. Emeritus of Tokyo Metropolitan Univ.) 
People's Network Against the Plan to Destroy Japan's National Universities

*　手紙で誤って28日となっていました．訂正文を送る予定です．

-----------日本語訳-----------

ユネスコ事務局長
松浦晃一郎様

　　　　アピール：日本の高等教育の基盤が危険にさらされています．

2002年3月26日、文部科学省に置かれた諮問委員会は、遠山文部科学大臣に、全て
の国立大学を、独立エージェンシー制度の下に置くとした最終報告を提出しました。
政府の報告書によると，これは「独立行政法人」と呼ばれ，政府支出を減らすため
に構想された新しい型の公的法人です。文部科学大臣は、この報告に基づき、2002
年末までに法案を策定することになっています。しかし、この法人化の提言に対し
ては、昨年9月に、法案の骨子が中間報告として発表されて以来、諸大学やマスメディ
アから強い批判と反対の声があがっています。

最終報告は、次の諸点で大変問題があります。

1）文部科学大臣は、各大学ごとに教育と研究について達成されるべき目標を定め、
かつ、それらの達成度に応じて政府資金を配分することになっています。各大学は
目標を達成するため，あらかじめ定められた課題を遂行しなければなりません。文
部科学大臣はまた、各大学による達成度が政府の評価基準に合わない場合、大学を
閉鎖する権限を持ちます。評価機関は文部科学省の中に設けられるので、政府から
独立ではありません。

2）国立大学の教官や職員は、非公務員型雇員として扱われます。このことは、教育
公務員特例法によって保護されないことを意味します。教育公務員特例法は、国公
立大学に属する教官の基本的権利を保障し、特に恣意的な解雇から彼らを守ること
によって、学問の自由を守っています。この法律は国公立学校に適用されますが、
実質的には私立学校における雇員の労使関係にも影響を与えています。この法律が
なければ、教員の雇用条件や地位は不安定となり、日本の高等教育全体における学
問の自由はその基盤を奪われることになるでしょう。

3）各大学における意志決定をなす運営協議会メンバーには、大学外部の人員を加え
なければなりません。これはそれぞれの大学から自治を奪います。大学は，その管
理運営に会社や政府関係者を入れることを余儀なくされます。究極的に，このシス
テムでは教育は産業界や政府の目先の要求に奉仕することになるでしょう。

独立行政法人制度のもとに再編された大学は、もはや自由な気風に満ちた学究のセ
ンターではありません。産業界や政府の直接的な要求に合わないような基礎的な分
野の研究は急激に衰え、貧困な教育条件は改善されず、授業料は必ずや値上がりす
るでしょう。小泉内閣は、大学を大企業の競争力強化のためのものに変えるための，
いわゆる「大学構造改革」の実行を求めています。これはまた，上にも述べたよう
に、はなはだ官僚的なシステムを含むものです。最終報告はこの小泉内閣の大学改
革プランを強いるもので，政府の高等教育に対する責任を最小化し、反対に管理は
最大化する、というものです。これは、日本だけでなく世界の知的基盤である大学
の自由な発展を阻害します。その結果、第二次世界大戦前の専制的な政治体制下の
日本のように、大学は完全に国家権力に支配されるでしょう。

最終報告はユネスコの文書に反します。とくに、以下の文書の諸条項に反します。
1997年の「高等教育の教育職員の地位に関する勧告」
　�. 教育目的および教育政策、のなかの10条ａ項、
　�. 教育機関の権利と義務および責任、のなかの17条から19条、
　�. 高等教育の教育職員の権利と自由、のなかの27条、28条、29条、および32条、
　�. 雇用の条件、のなかの45条
1998年の「21世紀に向けての高等教育世界宣言　−展望と行動−」
　第1条　教育、訓練、研究を行う使命
　第2条　倫理的役割、自治、責任および期待される役割
　第10条　主要な当事者としての高等教育の教職員と学生、のなかのc項
　第14条　公的サービスとしての高等教育の財政、のなかのa項
1998年の「宣言」の「高等教育の変革と発展のための優先的行動の枠組み」
　�. 国レベルでの優先行動、のなかの1条a項、j項、k項
　�. 高等教育の組織および機関のレベルでの優先行動、のなかの5条，6条g項　

日本政府が承認したユネスコの勧告と宣言の文脈において、私たちは貴下に、国立
大学を独立行政法人制度の下におかないよう日本政府に警告することを，強くお願
いします。なぜなら、最終報告は、そのようなシステムが日本のみならず世界中の
高等教育の発展にとって否定的な影響を与えるということを明言するユネスコの諸
合意に反するからです。

署名

山住正巳　（東京都立大学名誉教授）
国立大学独立法人化阻止全国ネットワーク代表

840-8502 佐賀市本庄町1
佐賀大学理工学部　　豊島耕一
[email-masked]
http://pegasus.phys.saga-u.ac.jp
職場電話/ファクス 0952-28-8845